Sunday, February 8, 2009

Just a Minute


I have added a new routine to my day. When it was suggested at the gardening workshop I attended (I am still resonating with the wealth of information from that day) that part of being attentive to the garden is just sitting there for a few minutes every day, I thought: No way will I be able to squeeze that in. I’m lucky if I get out there to water those poor babies twice a week! She suggested the early morning as the best time to just sit and pay attention to what is happening. Mornings? (I grumbled silently) You think I have five minutes in the morning?? Between getting the kids dressed and fed and lunch made and packed into the car I barely have time to take a bite out of the nutrition-free piece of toast I make for myself let alone spend a few contemplative minutes in the garden…

But there I am. Sitting quietly in my garden. Watching the clouds drift, the birds hop and yes, even watching the lettuce grow. I have managed it almost every day since the day she said those words and I adamantly cynically scoffed at them. Sometimes I run out just before dinner when its about to get dark, but more often then not I have stolen away in the morning. As if by magic, ever since I decided at least to give it a shot, the girls have been happy to get themselves dressed or my older one has decided to make her own lunch and for five minutes I run out to just sit in the garden. It is heavenly. It is great for me to take that time in the morning to remind myself that there IS time and that rushing is a complete waste of time. And these days especially, when I have no idea what is coming one day to the next, staying present is more than a spiritual goal, it is a necessity.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely reminder and a great message to walk with. My new home has a garden outside the front door and you've inspired me to just sit and be with it.
    Best,
    Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! (My first visit to a blog.) Now I see what all the fuss is about.
    We've talked a lot about time over the years, especially since having children. Thanks for reminding me that rushing is a waste of time. I've been observing how my kids use their time when left to their own devices. They set a good example for me as they play for hours - doing what strikes their fancy.

    I hope I meet your avocado tree some day. I have a little dogwood tree in my Brooklyn backyard, as you may remember. I'm very fond of it.

    XO Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't feel right to call my garden a garden; it's a long bed in a Brooklyn backyard, surrounded by concrete, and only sees sun for an hour or two in the afternoon. Nevertheless, your post struck a chord. In the summer, when my shade plants are thriving and I'm watching my climbing hydrangea inch up the brownstone wall, I escape from making breakfast for the kids, go outside, and grab a few minutes alone. Sometimes I water, sometimes I just poke around. I love seeing what has transpired since the night before, dread dumping my dishes of beer and dead slugs, and inhale the quiet morning.

    Love getting to know this side of you... you've obviously been intently observing the natural world.. and your tree sounds amazing

    xxx
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete