Sunday, September 13, 2009

Spider rhyme

Now I have a pet spider

I guess she belongs to me

She was laying on cement

Under my favorite tree


At first I was afraid

And poked her with a stick

Then tried to pick her up

When her legs started to kick


I knew that she was gone

It must be a reflex

I took her in my studio

And laid her on my desk


I drew her with a pencil

Dark shadows made her fierce

Immortalized her body

On paper it was pierced


A week later when I touched her

Her legs moved again!

And again I reasoned reflexes

And put away my pen


But tonight I flipped her over

To draw her corpse once more

And this time it was clear

She had yet to cross death’s door


When right side up she is still

Appears to be dead as can be

But when she’s on her back

Her life is plain to see


Can a spider last this long?

Can she go for days and days

Without water to sustain her

Or flies caught in her maze?


Perhaps I’m a chosen witness

To her last days of life

As I have been to others

Into death I am midwife


She moves her legs in rhythm

In sleepy peaceful time

And I watch her in this place

And carry her with this rhyme

No comments:

Post a Comment