Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ocean Kiss

I was pulled to the beach like a magnet to metal
My escape from dinner preparations, unplanned but smooth
I slipped down the stairs of the gargantuan rented beach house
Where a large family gathering was in its last day
My sister had just come into the kitchen from a run on the beach
And her sweat reminded me how badly I needed to get out there myself
One last time

I pulled on my boots by the pool and watched the sky for birds
I jogged down the steps and trekked across rough ground cover
The sounds of kids screaming and adults laughing faded behind me
And against the crunching of thick stems under my shoes
I climbed up over a railing
And stepped onto the boardwalk that smelled of wet wood

The sky burned orange and the clouds puffed up yellow mountains with golden edges
The sun lowered itself into a fireball over my right shoulder
And the waves drew me to them in thick lines of white
Folding over in slow curls
They were crashing and sending me messages that I never knew existed
They were pulling me out to them like a lover who wanted me to drown in their beauty

I stood on the sand
It was late and the beach that had been broad as a football field this afternoon
Was swallowed by the tide that left only a narrow edge to stand in
I considered running or walking down a ways but the waves made me stand still
I listened

The beach was like an open book with different pictures next to each other
The right page was a burnt umber mist that looked like orange rain over the ocean
Making edgeless the distinctions of land and sea
On the left the colors vibrated from the other end
The sky was still blue
But the dark blue of dusk with uncommon clarity that carefully outlined
A runner in the distance
Shimmering silver on the water

The waves were breaking in long rows marching in with big swells coming up behind
A sandbar was making them break out there
Perfect curling tubes of blue gray with white furled edges
I was talking to them
Saying goodbye
I said I love you

I started to feel all the abuse the ocean takes and a wave of sadness rose up
It passed through my body and disappeared into the orange mist that was overtaking the whole scene
This is the moment that counts, I thought
Rain was coming

Then a big wave broke
And I knew it was headed for me
It was already pushing me with its significance
And I thought I ought to step back a bit or get ready to
But I stood there

And the wave sent a long finger of foam up to me
That reached only my toes
Glancing down the beach I saw that it was the only part that came up that far
And I melted with the humility that comes from being kissed
By the ocean

No comments:

Post a Comment