Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Looking Back

I had a shift in perspective today as I rode a rented bike around Governor’s Island. I grew up staring at this little island that sits between Staten Island, Brooklyn and Manhattan from my parents apartment in Brooklyn Heights. I know I asked about it a million times, never understanding the answers I was given about why it was off limits to the general public. I guess for a long time it was inhabited by the coast guard and their families and has been open to the public on various limited occasions over the years. For the past two summers it has been open to the public every weekend. You can take a ferry there from Brooklyn or Manhattan and ride rented bikes around it. There are no cars, but nice paved roads make it easy to ride.

So there I was, riding around the island behind my niece and daughter. As we rode past the side of the island that faces Brooklyn I looked up to see the building I grew up in. I had never seen it from here. I had a flash of myself, as a kid looking out the window, wondering what that place was. Now I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment