Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Potato Volcano

Last night for dinner I served mashed potatoes. I was in a hurry and didn't make a volcano out of Grace's pile of mash, like I usually do. Oh no, actually I did. I made a hurried version, taking about two seconds to shape it with my fingers and a fork as Dave was carrying it
to the table. But there was no melted butter lava.

She didn't complain but when she saw there were leftovers she asked if she could have a volcano in her lunch the next day. I looked at the potatoes and thought about how well the mash volcano would hold up through its journey to school in Grace's backpack and decided it would be better if I gave them to her in a plastic container and let her make the volcano herself. She was very excited about it and we came up with a solution for the lava: Thinned ketchup. "It will be perfect!" she screeched carrying her plate to the sink. But what to put the volcano on was still an issue to be solved. A plate would need to be washed after lunch and she didn't like that idea. I suggested a square of aluminum foil which she could just fold up and put back in her lunch
bag. She liked it.

So at dinner tonight, I asked her how it went with the volcano at lunch and a cloud passed over her face. "I couldn't do it" she said glumly, slowly reliving the full weight of her lunchtime disappointment. "I started to make it and the teacher came over and told me not to play with my food."

Ah manners. Too bad we don't teach her those at home.

1 comment: