Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ruby Red Beauties

My tomatoes are the last man (men) standing in my garden now. They are (I swear) producing the most delicious cherry tomatoes I have ever eaten. There is some kind of magic between the love I give them as I water and pick them and tell them how gorgeous they are (because they are!), and the sweet taste they bestow on my tongue when I pop one in my mouth. What is better than that squirt of pure tomato juice fresh from the vine? I love the way the skin actually holds the faint scent of soil on it which finds its way up my nose as I pass one after the other into my waiting mouth. I just finished a whole bowl. These little ruby beauties have been deeply nourishing me for the last couple of weeks. I always make a meal out of them and say thank you. Sometimes I saute them in a pan with a little garlic and put them on toast. Other times its just slicing them and sprinkling them with olive oil, salt and lots of basil, the other plant that is flourishing still. But this time it was just a bowl of them, straight up, now empty, with only a pile of their curly green little jester hats left at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment